| Join Us | Open Source@IHPC | Sitemap
For Staff Only : IHPC Webmail | VPN Login | Update Profile
Electronics & Photonics (EP)
Dr. G. ALAGAPPAN
- Title: Scientist
- Tel: 64191427
- Email: email@example.com
Computational Photonics, Application of Group Theory in Optics, Biophotonics, and Nanotechnology
- University of Illinois, and A*STAR Computational Resource Centre, Joint Certification in High Performance Computing, 2013
- Doctor of Philosophy, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 2008
- Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical and Electronic) First Class Honours Specialized in Photonics, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 2004
Published Journals/ Articles:
- 24 publications with 19 of them first authored. and 5 of them second authored. 5 of the first authored publications [2008 – 2013] are published in Physical Review A and Physical Review B (internationally recognized and highly reputable journals in optics and condensed matter physics). Other publications are in Optic Letters, Optic Express, IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, Journal of Optical Society of America, and Optical Communications.
- ASTAR Postdoctoral Fellowship [2010 – 2012]
- Designed novel experiment setup to investigate ring beam diffractions in photonic crystals. The experiment was invited to be exhibited in Singapore X’periment Festival [August 2009].
- The paper, [“Symmetries of the eigenstates in an anisotropic photonic crystal”, Phys. Rev. B 77, 195117 (2008)], was highlighted in the front page of Phys. Rev. B. This feature of Phys. Rev. B is also called Kaleidoscope. This is the first time that a paper from Nanyang Technological University has been chosen in the front page of Phys. Rev. Invented “Logically Combined Photonic Crystals”, [Provisional patent to be filed on Aug 2013].
- Invented “Geometrically Distributed Photonic Crystals”, [US provisional patent filed 13th November 2008].
- ASTAR Graduate Scholarship [2004 – 2008].
- Best paper award for the paper presentation (oral) “Diffraction properties of photonic crystal” in Symposium of Microelectronics , Singapore .
- Agilent Book Prize for Optoelectronics for obtaining highest marks in the final year (undergraduate) optoelectronics module .
- Best student of the school in the STPM (equivalent to A – LEVELS) examinations. Highest Marks in Physics and Mathematics .
- Silver medal in Malaysian Physics Contest (National Level - 1999)
- Co – supervised PhD student [Mr. Qing Guo, Nanyang Technological University (2009 – 2012)]
- Tutored first year physics module for B. Eng students
- Supervised first year and second year B. Eng students for laboratory experiments on electromagnetics
- Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (IEEE)
- Member of Optical Society of America (OSA)
2010 – 2012 Dynamic and Steady State Behaviour of Lasers in Optical Nanostructures
University of Toronto, Canada
3 first authored publications
2008 – 2010 Geometrically Distributed Photonic Crystals and The Applications (Optical
Fiber, Filters, and Lasers)
Institute of High Performance Computing, Singapore
5 publications (3 first authored)
2006 – 2008 Diffraction Properties of Photonic Crystals(Experiment and Theory) Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
4 publications (3 first authored)
2004 – 2008 Anisotropic Photonic Crystals
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
10 first authored publications
Professional Memberships and Services
• Reviewer of following journals: Optics Letter, Optic Express, Optical Communications, Applied
Physics Letters, Progress in Electromagnetic Research, and Physical Review B
• Teaching Experiences:
• Professional Memberships:
This page is last updated at: 23-JUL-2013